It took Boss and me three consecutive days to fill up the new Country Meadow bed with transplanted “bullies” from the main garden. There were some small projects on the property that presented themselves during the transition, but the main goal was to finish the Country Meadow bed, and WE DID IT!
The Country Meadow bed is down the hill from the main garden beds. In this photo I have outlined where the new bed has been planted, to give a sense of scale. You are looking at the main garden bed at the beginning of June here; gooseneck loostrife, iris, and coreopsis strangling baptisia and peonies; with lamb’s ear at the front right.
There were other sections of garden beds that were also wildly overgrown with competitive plants. This is what it looks like when “beautiful bullies” are planted too closely together without a watchful hand to keep them separated. Here is mint, iris, black eyed Susan, and bee balm intermingled.
Here is Boss, digging it out. Can you spot my shadow sneaking in the photo?
With this project, we did not want to ruin the lawn, and all of the groupings of plants that we wanted to transplant were located in prominent areas. Rather than asking for assistance with a machine, we shoveled out the plants onto tarps, dragged the tarps, and loaded them into a Kubota to bring them to the Country Meadow bed location. We used our buckets to help divide any plants we wanted to salvage for other areas, and to collect bulbs we unearthed while digging.
Here is Boss, very happy that I have dug out a trench, so that she can be the person to dump in clumps. Also, staying hydrated!
As I explained in my former post about this project, the main method here is “dump in clumps.” Whereby, we dig a trench, throw in the clumps of material we are transplanting, and cover it up with soil. It is a no-fuss method for these plants that are determined to survive. (The list of plants we are transplanting is in my post Country Meadow Bed.)
On the third and final day of this project, the sky precipitated a mixture of tiny hail and rain. We continued to work in this for another two hours and thought up positive changes we should make for next year. For instance, taking quick yoga breaks to remind us of balance and to counteract our gardening positions. Our mantra should be “everything is good.”
I truly believe that our positive thinking and care for the plants is transferred to them in some magic way that helps them grow. Make fun of me for it if you wish, but there will be plenty of examples of this to help support my claim in posts to come. (In archaeological papers it is always important to list your biases; this is what I am doing with this statement.)
Because it was wintery-mixing, I only took a drive by photo of our finished Country Meadow bed planting. Sorry about that, but it is really unimpressive to look at in any regard. Stay posted for next springtime and summer when it is coming up gloriously!
That’s all there is about this bed until next year!
If you have any questions or comments I will do my best to be diligent with them. I would love to hear from you!
With all the rain we have had, and snow on its way, I am planting bulbs and putting beds to rest with any sunny day that presents itself. More good things on the way!